Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Get MBCS Support for Visual Studio Express Edition 2013

Leave a Comment
After a long time, I got a chance to setup Visual studio and code few things.

I could setup Visual studio express edition smoothly but when I tried to compile a ready code, it prompted that the support for MBCS is deprecated from MFC projects and the compilation will block at that error.

It seems Microsoft wants to force use of Unicode and that is good, as lazy devs like me won;t spend time porting code to Unicode unless MS blocks it completely.

However MS has an external library to add support for MBCS.

I got the setup from here:


But when I run this setup, it could not detect the Visual studio and MFC installed on my machine.

At first I thought this library will not work for express edition and I will have to use my MSDN account to setup VS pro edition. But the log file helped me to install this library.

The solution is to create some registry entries that this setup is looking for. After a few trials I managed to get all reg entries in place and the setup installed just fine. Some might not be needed but these does not seem harmful anyway.

Here are list of registry entries that needs to be created. Assume I have typed that registry editing warning that you can read on any MSDN articles.


Create following registry keys and entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\12.0\LibrarySelectableMFC
value:install
type:DWORD
data:1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\12.0\New Key #1
value:install
type:DWORD
data:1


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\12.0\New Key #1\Install

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing\12.0\Professional
value:install
type:DWORD
data:1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing\12.0\Professional\install

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing\12.0\vscore
value:install
type:DWORD
data:1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing\12.0\LibrarySelectableMFC

Good luck!

0 comments: